The ICA Regional Conference will be held at the City (Gardens Point) Campus of the Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia, from 1-3 October 2014. The conference theme is:
Digital Transformations, Social Media Engagement and the Asian Century
The conference theme draws together three elements. First, the rise of the digital economy has meant that “born digital” firms, industries and practices are transforming media and communications industries and professions. As we live in an increasingly convergent digital environment, with associated transformations in communications law and policy, the need for conceptual and empirical mapping of such developments, and critical reflection on their wider implications for communications theory and practice, becomes essential.
Second, the rise of social media is rapidly transforming a range of communications professions and practices, such as journalism, public relations, political communication and health communication, as well as the relationship of audiences to media content. The mass communication paradigm, with its relatively stable sender-message-receiver relationships, is being shifted by a vast array of digital practices, platforms, and services, and there is an urgent need for a stocktake of what this means for the communications professions.
Finally, there has been a shift in geo-economic power balances going on for some years from the Atlantic Corridor to the Asia-Pacific, associated with the rise of Asian nations in the global economy. For example, 45% of the world’s Internet users are now in the Asia-Pacific region, up from 30% in 2002, whereas North America now accounts for 15% of world Internet users, as compared to 37% in 2002. The implications of such shifts in terms of media and culture, political economy, and communications theory and scholarship, provide a key theme of this regional conference.
Confirmed Keynote Speakers include:
• Professor Lance Bennett, University of Washington
• Professor Mohan Dutta, University of Singapore
• Professor Christine Huang, University of Hong Kong
• Associate Professor Jack Linchuan Qiu, University of Hong Kong
• Professor Christoph Neuberger, University of Munich
• Professor Cynthia Stohl, University of California Santa Barbara
• Professor Peter Vorderer, University of Mannheim, Germany
A full Call for Papers is now open. The conference is seeking extended abstracts (1000-2000 words) and panel proposals related to the thematic areas of:
• Digital media and social change;
• Information media and digital journalism;
• Entertainment media and culture;
• Convergence law, policy and political economy;
• Asian media in transition;
• Communication and public engagement;
• Organisational communication;
• Social media and communications practice;
• Science and environmental communication
• Health communication;
• Digital media and education;
• Crisis and emergency communication;
• Digital media and political communication.
Further information on the conference can be found at icabrisbane2014.com. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org
Conference Chair: Professor Terry Flew, Creative Industries Faculty, Queensland University of Technology.
Conference organising committee: Mark Andrejevic, Jennifer Bartlett, Jeffrey Brand, Jean Burgess, Stuart Cunningham, Cindy Gallois, Folker Hanusch, Stephen Harrington, Greg Hearn, Liz Jones, Gayle Kerr, Terence Lee, Brian McNair, Elizabeth Mitchell, Kay Weaver, Robina Xavier.